I am going to try and not rant... but I have been trying for so long to get this to work, that I am beginning to think its not supposed to work.
I tried to get Office 2007 to install via GPO, with very little success. So, I decided to try my hand at 2010. This, so far, is not going much better.
I have followed the given articles for the install, and the best I can get is:
Wed 03/23/2011 9:47:34.18 Setup ended with error code 5.
Wed 03/23/2011 10:13:57.73 Setup ended with error code 30030.
Same log file for the same machine, two different attempts.
The error 5 led me to add the machine group to the "User" who has permission to run the install rather then focusing on the users.
The error 30030, as far as I can tell, does not exist.
Attached are my "config.xml" and the batch file I am running in the GPO startup scripts section. Office2010TP.cmd config.xml