Solved

querying AD

Posted on 2011-03-23
7
257 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I am using a 3rd party software that adds a signature line to outgoing email.  It checks to see if they are in an AD group as a rule.  User is in the AD group but the software can't see the user int he group,

Here is the error message from the software log:

Error: Error while AD Query using DN 'CN=Mary Smith (LA/PHX),OU=LAX,OU=SA Users,DC=domain,DC=com': '(0x80005000) Failed open the object.'
23.03.2011 11:58:01 19c4 Error: Error while AD Query: '(0x80005000) Failed open the object.'

any idea why this would happen and how to fix it?
0
Comment
Question by:randy672
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
7 Comments
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Navdeep
ID: 35200130
if you search Mary Smith (LA/PHX) from aduc using find. are you able to get the user object
if you are then it's something to do with your 3rd party app
 
0
 

Author Comment

by:randy672
ID: 35201187
deleting the account and re-creating it fixed the issue. So its not the software causing the problem.

Is there anyway to repair an AD account without having to delete it?
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Navdeep
ID: 35201327
you can create a copy of the account? but how do you come to assert  that account was causing the issue?

0
NEW Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows

Backup and recover physical and cloud-based servers and workstations, as well as endpoint devices that belong to remote users. Avoid downtime and data loss quickly and easily for Windows-based physical or public cloud-based workloads!

 

Author Comment

by:randy672
ID: 35201404
we deleted the account, waited for 20 minutes and then recreated it.  Then the software worked with the recreated AD account.  We never deleted her mailbox.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
randy672 earned 0 total points
ID: 35201770
we are pretty sure we figured out the problem.

AD didn't like the fact we used a /  in the "full name" once we got rid of it the query works
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Navdeep
ID: 35201864
yes, special chars may make a difference on how app queries them
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:randy672
ID: 35230118
we figured it out that special characters were the problem.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article shows the method of using the Resultant Set of Policy Tool to locate Group Policy that applies a particular setting.
After hours on line I found a solution which pointed to the inherited Active Directory permissions . You have to give/allow permissions to the "Exchange trusted subsystem" for the user in the Active Directory...
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of transferring the five major, necessary Active Directory Roles, commonly referred to as the FSMO roles to another domain controller. Log onto the new domain controller with a user account t…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the process of configuring their Windows Server 2012 domain controller to synchronize its time with a trusted, external resource. Use Google, Bing, or other preferred search engine to locate trusted NTP …

739 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question