I am looking for advise on the following:
I have takening over an exchange setup where the follow is true:
1. Exchange database is about 69GB in size
2. Exchnage 2003 Standard Edition is installed with SP2 and reg switch to allow full capacity db.
3. Performance is poor and time unworkable
4. Mailboxe sizes are massive in some cases, due to lack of inforcement
5. some users have already lost hugh amounts of data due to hardware damage on their workstations as they had been archiving their mailboxs locally.
6. antiVirus and AntiSpam is on the same box
I have made the following changes:
1. Move Exchange to a new box with better spec. Exchange is the only software running on this box now.
2. Went with a hosted Antispam/AntiVirus solution for Exchange (Postini). This service has been great so far. I get very little spam now.
3. I have also started setting limits on mailboxes, but this will not be an easy task as users are used to a no-limit setup.
Performance has got slightly better.
I am wondering what more I can do to get this setup working on a more streamlined basis, health and performance being a big priority.
I also need to consider a good archive solution so that user do not loose any more data.
Please note that my budget is very low, close to non-existant so I am doing what I can, so please keep this in mind when suggesting solutions.