I am about to virtualise my single domain system and wanted to check over the process with you guys, in case I have missed something vital in the order! Thanks in advance!
Current set up:
Single server running 2003 R2 SP2, Exchange 2003, File and Print, DC
- I am aiming to have this server as a 2008 R2 hyperv host running two application guests, and one guest which will be 2008 R2 running Exchange 2010, AD, file and print.
My plan is as follows:
1. Create a vm on a separate (Temporary) host server running 2008 R2 HyperV. The vm will be 2008 R2 SP1.
2. Add vm to domain, add print server, file server, dhcp and dns
3. Add Active Directory and sync with current DC
4. Install Exchange 2010 SP1 (prerequisites first!)
5. Move all fsmo roles to new guest DC server
6. Move mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to 2010
7. Uninstall Exchange 2003 from original server
8. Demote (dcpromo) original server
9. Remove DNS and DHCP from original server
10. Raise functional level to R2
11. Stop file shares on original server
12. Full Backup Exec backup of data.
13. Restore data to vhd and attach to guest server
14. Format original server, install 2008 R2 with hyperv
15. Create virtual machines and mount vhds created earlier