i'm sure this will be an easy question, but my senior engineer is a terrible teacher and i have noone else to ask.
i have a MS 2003 cluster that my senior engineer had me make with the intent to load exchange in our lab. i created the cluster (i can move the resources back and forth so it should be good) and have the following:
shared data disk
distributed transaction coordinator
please explain the following in laymans terms as i am new to clustering and everything online says to "do this and that" but doesn't tell me anything about what they do and why you need them.
1. why do i need/have a resource name? what is it's full purpose in the cluster?
2. is the resource IP like the IP for NLB? what is it's full purpose in the cluster?
3. i know what the quorum is for, but why do we want a shared data disk for an exch cluster?
4. i just need the DTC on my main node, right? what is it's full purpose?
5. i can failover and back my group without the DTC in the group, but once i create the DTC again in the group, i can't fail it over. any idea why?
thanks for the help explaining things.if #5 requires a lot of back and forth, i can ask my senior engineer for help with it. i really mostly want an answer to 1 through 4, unless #5 is an easy one.