Ok. I'm running Apache 2.0.63 on Linux. I am trying to add aliases to the httpd.conf file to access my own content directories without any luck. Having had no success I tried to see if I could just add a file to an existing folder that is already aliased. So I added a gif to the Apache/icons folder that already has an alias. I bounced the server. I can access all the other images in the icon folder from my browser's address field but not the gif that I added. I get a 404 error. So what gives.
1) The gif I added is simply a renamed copy of a file already in the icons directory so it should not be corrupted file contents.
2) The permissions and ownership of the file I added are identical to the other files in the directory.
3) The httpd.conf file is the default httpd.conf file with the exception of the alias that I added.
4) There is no index file in the icons folder.
5) When I retrieve an index of the icons folder in the browser I get back a formatted index that contains information beyond simply a list of the icons. My test gif does not appear in the list. I can't figure out where the content from this page is coming from either.
I imagine this is some simple configuration error somewhere that I can't find due to my limited Apace experience. After hours of searching on the web I've gotten nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.