For our online service we need lots of database space. Currently we have about 900MB
of used space. Our current premium (fast!) host only supports up to 1GB. After that it's dedicated; which
will cost about € 400 each month. As this is donationware, we can't afford this. We can afford
about $1200 each year for hosting. Not much more.
So we are looking for a new host. With a few GB of MYSQL space. We don't need huge normal
We've found hostgator.com, they say their MYSQL has no limit. Which would be ideal.
But we are afraid that their MYSQL and connections (?) aren't fast enough.
About speed. We can have up to a thousand users working simultaniously on our db. This db
has about 10.000.000 records. We want to be ready for the future: the number of users grows
So my questions are:
- are our assumptions regarding speed and number of connections right?
- what would you recommend we should do?
- what would be possible bottlenecks for a new provider?
- are there ways to check mysql speed and number of connections up front?
- how can we determine which provider is suitable for our needs?
- would a cheap host be a bad mistake?