I have been configuring networks both Workgroup and Domain environments for years. This one is strange.
We recently acquired a customer with this simple LAN setup.
9 XP PRO workstations drawing from a database on an XP PRO pc/server.
Problem: from any pc , even the xp server - you cannot browse the workgroup. "workgroup is not accessible" ...... path not found.
1. All users have the same login and pass, all pcs are in the same workgroup.
2. The router is simply connected DHCP to cable ISP and is the gateway
3. All pcs get ips from the router DHCP table.
4. I have reset the router to factory to rule out old dhcp table etc.
5. We introduced a new pc (XP) to the lan - initially we could browse and see all LAN pcs in the workgroup, now it TOO! cannot - same error as above.
*OF note - the only change recently was a new 16 port switch was installed*
6. We formatted one of the existing XP pcs - same error!
There really is NO DNS so I cant see a problem there.
Does anyone have input on this? Is there somehow a chance the switch could be the problem? NOTE - all other networking, speeds and programs are working fine on the LAN??