Printers through GPO

Afternoon guys.
Can anyone off top of their head, work out why printers are not added to deskop machines when user logged on. We use group policy to set default printers for users with roaming profiles. For instance is a user logs onto a workstation, a logon script is run which maps the current user session to the printer group. We have a list of printer groups (Security Group) within Windows 2008 AD. If i log on, the printer is mapped correctly (admin rights) if a user logs on the printer is shown to be mapped during the logon script, but when you access the printer, it is not listed. This is strange, as it dosent effect all print groups, just some. All machines within that room that the printer is based, are added as members. The description is also correct, such as \\printershare\printerName. Again, if i log on, the printers are mapped correctly.

Anyone have any ideas?

Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Check your event logs on the workstations for errors relating to this. What do they say?
Of course it will work for you account as you have administrative privileges.
Did you check the permissions for those printer groups on the shared printers? You added users or computers to the printer group?
Add the users to the printer groups and then try.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
CharlesSenior Software EngineerCommented:
Try by including this printer script at last
Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

1. Try to run the same script on local machine and check the script were mapping the printer or not - In this way any permission issue or Error will come out.

2.  Gpupdate /force  and  gpresult /v  - and check for any errors

dalewrightAuthor Commented:
Cheers for the reply. All computers are added to the printer groups, not users. It's not possible or should i say viable as we have over 900 users hence the reason for computer objects added to the groups. Checked the event logs at the start but nothing shown. Strange. Again its not for every group prob about 10% of printers. And yes I understand I have admin rights but again the policy is not based on user levels it's computer objects. Cheers for the posts. I will try the forceful gpupdate command which I should have tried at the start to be honest. Thanks guys post back tomorrow
You may need to enable loopback processing in the GPO for this to work.
dalewrightAuthor Commented:
bcdudley. cheers for the reply

its already enabled, as i have over 30 printers on site, with 90% of them working as they should. its the other 10% that are causing the problems.
dalewrightAuthor Commented:
Problem fixed:

Remove the printer/s from the print server, removed the clients from the object. Reinstalled the printers with a generic print driver, added the computers to the security group, restarted the print queue and bobs your uncle, printer installed. Will distribute points to all of you since i have a paid memebership.

dalewrightAuthor Commented:
See above
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Active Directory

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.