I am trying to setup Apache 2.2.17 to run on Windows Server 2008 r2 and have the document root on a shared network drive. I have taken the following steps, but can't seem to get the Apache service to start when the document root is set to the shared network folder.
1. Install Apache 2.2.17
2. Modify the service to run as user who has rights to shared folder.
3. Map drive to shared folder.
4. Verify user rights on shared folder (have full rights)
5. Set the docmentroot and <directory> statements in the httpd.conf file to point to the UNC path of the network share folder.
6. Start Apache service. Fails with "documentroot must be a directory" error.
If I change the documentroot to a local folder on the machine, it works fine.
It seems it must be a rights issue to the shared drive (which is housed on a Windows Storage Server with service pack 2 installed). But I've given the user that is running the Apache service on the web server full rights to the shared folder.
I've tried this on an x86 installation of Windows Server 2008 and a 64 bit installation with the same results. I'm getting ready to try with an older version of Windows Server.
Anyone have ideas on what I'm doing wrong?