Company A has been planning a split from Company B.
They have their own offices with 2 servers they own, I believe one is a 2003 DC and the other a member server. They have been logging into Company B domain but all their files reside on the servers on their premises.
Now Company A is making permanent split. A new AD domain will be built. This is a small environment with 35 users. Questions:
1. Can I demote DC, remove the DC and member server from the Company B domain and create new domain?
2. What is the process?
3. I believe all the shares would lose permissions?
4. What would other ramifications be?
5. Can you export GPO's from one domain to another?
6. Will all workstations have to manually be removed from old domain ane re-added to new domain?
In interested in the proper/best process here. I'm thinking I should get a new 2008 R2 server, build new domain, and then add the 2 existing machines to the new domain. If you're clear on the proper/best way to do this, I would greatly appreciate your expertise. What haven' t I thought about? Is there way around re-permissioning shares? I believe you can use ADMT to migrate accounts, but wondering since there are only 35 users if it's easier to manually re-create accounts?