Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


SBS 2003 - messages stuck in queue

Posted on 2011-04-19
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
I've just finished setting up exchange on an SBS 2003 server which had been running pop3 accounts for many years because of a cynical mistrust of exchange. Anyway the cynic has left and I'm trying to make the transition as painless as possible.

I've just checked and there are 3 very small outbound messages stuck in the SMTP queue - two are just read receipts and 13 inward in the local delivery queue which only total 2Mb.

Are there any patches I need to load or I am missing something obvious.

Clicking force does nothing.

Thanks for any ideas.

Question by:mikeabc27
  • 5
  • 3
LVL 76

Expert Comment

by:Alan Hardisty
ID: 35424444
Please have a read of my article and check your configuration - you may be missing something like Reverse DNS or the FQDN on your SMTP Virtual Server may be incorrect (might end .local):


Any questions - please ask.


Author Comment

ID: 35424793
Ah, falling at the first hurdle.

I forgot to email reverse.dns@btbroadbandoffice.com to make the entry.

It's sent now, is there any workaround while I wait for them to make the change?

Author Comment

ID: 35425402
That accounts for the outbound, what could be causing the queue in the inbound. OK for around 10 working hours now getting stuck in the queue for the last 3 hours.
Simplify Active Directory Administration

Administration of Active Directory does not have to be hard.  Too often what should be a simple task is made more difficult than it needs to be.The solution?  Hyena from SystemTools Software.  With ease-of-use as well as powerful importing and bulk updating capabilities.

LVL 76

Accepted Solution

Alan Hardisty earned 2000 total points
ID: 35425763
The only workaround is to use your ISP's mail servers for ALL mail, or setup a new SMTP Connector just to send mail to the domains with a problem and use BT's mail servers as the Smarthost.  Easier to do ALL but not required if most people are happy with you.

For more reading:


If you have mail queued up in the Local Delivery Queue - the usual fix for that is to dismount the store and repair, defragment and integrity check it.

eseutil /p (followed by)

eseutil /d (followed by)

isinteg -s servername -fix -test alltests

eseutil runs at about 4-6Gb per hour depending on the server spec you have and the store will be unavailable for ALL users whilst you repair / defragment / integrity check, so it is best done out of hours.

Author Comment

ID: 35425893
ThanksI'll try that. Wiith regard to the incoming emails I seem to have exceeded the 16Gb limit and currently upgrading to SP1.

Author Comment

ID: 35425975
Sorry should have read upgraing from SP1 to SP2.
LVL 76

Expert Comment

by:Alan Hardisty
ID: 35426064
Ah - that's not so good - but natively, you will have 2Gb more space.

Once you have SP2 - you can play with the registry to increase the limit to 75Gb:


Don't go the full whack - increase to something like 32Gb to start and then monitor it to make sure people don't abuse the system.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 35426453
Many thanks

Featured Post

Microsoft Certification Exam 74-409

Veeam® is happy to provide the Microsoft community with a study guide prepared by MVP and MCT, Orin Thomas. This guide will take you through each of the exam objectives, helping you to prepare for and pass the examination.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In this post, I will showcase the steps for how to create groups in Office 365. Office 365 groups allow for ease of flexibility and collaboration between staff members.
Steps to fix error: “Couldn’t mount the database that you specified. Specified database: HU-DB; Error code: An Active Manager operation fail”
This video shows how to quickly and easily deploy an email signature for all users in Office 365 and prevent it from being added to replies and forwards. (the resulting signature is applied on the server level in Exchange Online) The email signat…
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an anti-spam), the admin…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month20 days, 21 hours left to enroll

810 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question