We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Check out our new AWS podcast with Certified Expert, Phil Phillips! Listen to "How to Execute a Seamless AWS Migration" on EE or on your favorite podcast platform. Listen Now


ActiveSync Push simply stopped working, tried everything

cmaohio asked
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
My phone has stopped getting my mail. It not only doesn't direct push to it, but it also won't seek it out at the 15-minute interval. The phone has been working for weeks with our server and I have made no changes to the server before the problem started.

My setup:
Phone: Droid X running latest Android 2.2.3 (Froyo) enterprise data plan with push enabled.
Server: Exchange 2010 SP1 Rollup 3

I don't know if others are having the push problem. Most anyone else with phones don't use direct push and nobody so far has complained. I have yet to ask if they are having problems So far it may just be me.

I am a local admin on the servers and on workstations. I was a domain admin but encountered the problem with "inherit permissions" in AD. So I removed myself from those domain admin groups. I checked today and I still have "inherit permissions" set.  I am not getting any errors in the application logs about permissions or anything like that.

If I manually seek the mail I receive mail but it won't seek on it's own and won't push.

I have rebooted the server(s).
I was on rollup 2 when I started debugging, i upgraded.
I have reset the ActiveSync and owa directories on the server in the console.
I turned on debugging for my user (set-CASMailbox -Identity username -ActiveSyncDebugLogging  $true) but i don't see debugging messages anywhere and dont' know where to look.
I have rebooted the phone
I have removed the account from my phone and re-added it.
The phone had a factory-reset done on it only two weeks ago, I would rather not do that again.

I am at my whits end and can't figure out anything else to do. I may have done more debugging of this than this but I don't remember anything. PLEASE HELP ME!
Watch Question

Have you tested your account from www.testexchangeconnectivity.com ?
cmaohioSenior Systems Manager


Ah, forgot about that.  So, while testing Exchange ActiveSync on that the autodiscover is not working. It used to be working so something has changed somewhere. I can see it's not working but the site doesn't tell me where to look, The relevant results of the test are here (domain and e-mail changed):

Attempting to send an Autodiscover POST request to potential Autodiscover URLs.
       Autodiscover settings weren't obtained when the Autodiscover POST request was sent.
      Test Steps
      ExRCA is attempting to retrieve an XML Autodiscover response from URL https://autodiscover.yourdomain.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml for user yourusername@yourdomain.com.
       ExRCA failed to obtain an Autodiscover XML response.
      Additional Details
       A Web exception occurred because an HTTP 401 - Unauthorized response was received from Unknown.
Unlock this solution and get a sample of our free trial.
(No credit card required)
cmaohioSenior Systems Manager


This was essentially the answer. I went in and checked the AutoDiscover settings, it was set for anonymous but I looked at the other settings for the virtual directories listed in the article and found several of the virtual directories didn't have the internal and external URLs set right at all.

I fixed all that and still didn't seem to fix it, in my mind. But then I saw on my phone a glitch that was going to require me to back it up and do a factory reset. I rooted my phone and started the backup when I noticed e-mails started flowing to my phone. My calendar synced and everything is now working. No reset necessary, I guess.

Thanks for the points, does "rooted" = rebooted?

Does www.testexchangeconnectivity.com now pass?
cmaohioSenior Systems Manager


Yes, testexchangeconnectivity.com does now pass. No, Rooted means to hack the phone. I have an android device and the only backup for it that's worth a damn is called Titanium Backup which requires root access.

Thanks for the update.
cmaohioSenior Systems Manager


Well, the damn phone stopped syncing again on Saturday afternoon. Same exact symptoms as above. We were off all weekend, we didn't mess with the server!  I checked testexchangeconnectivity.com and it's working perfectly.
Unlock the solution to this question.
Thanks for using Experts Exchange.

Please provide your email to receive a sample view!

*This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


Please enter a first name

Please enter a last name

8+ characters (letters, numbers, and a symbol)

By clicking, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.