Exchange 2000 > 2003 > 2010 Upgrade
Posted on 2011-04-20
Following a previous question, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade from Exchange 2000 up to 2003 on the current Windows 2000 server, then once 2003 is working I can do a fresh installation of 2010 from our brand new box and migrate everything easily.
I'm just going through the Exchange 2003 set up pre-requisites, and have completed the following:
- Ensure that Windows 2000 is at latest service pack (SP4 installed)
- Verify that NNTP, SMTP and World Wide Web services are installed and enabled
- Check the following components. They weren't installed, so I didnt need to remove them:
Instant Messaging Service
ey Management Server
Lotus cc:mail connector
MS Mail connector
- Install Windows 2000 Support tools and run DCDiage and NetDiag - all OK
All that's left now is:
- Run ForestPrep and DomainPrep
- Run the Exchange 2003 Installation Wizard
I just wanted to check that it was OK to run ForestPrep and DomainPrep on the Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 server.
The domain functional level is at 2003, and our primary domain controller is now a 2008 box. I'm sure it's OK, but I just wanted to double check that running ForestPrep/DomainPrep wouldn't cause any issues on our new Windows 2008 domain controlller.
I look forward to your comments, as if all is OK I can do the upgrade very soon.
Thanks in advance!