I need to upgrade my domain controllers from 2003 to 2008. My plan is to install two 2008 R2 X64 DC's and then remove the three 2003 DC's from my environment. But I have to make sure of a few things. Here is my plan below, how does it look?
1. On the two 2003 DC's I need to run ADPREP32.exe since they are 32bit.
Run adprep32.exe /forestprep on the DC that has the schema master role.
Run adprep32.exe /domainprep on the DC that has the infrastructure manager role.
Run adprep32.exe /gpprep.exe on the DC that has the infrastructure manager role.
2. Check the adprep.log files to make sure the replication has succedded.
3. Install 2 2008 R2 X64 on the domain and then use the DCPROMO command.
4. Make the 2008 Servers Global catalog DCs.
5. Transfer the FSMO roles from the 2003 to the 2008 DC's.
6. Demote the 2003 DCs.
7. Raise the domain and then forest level of the 2008 DCs to 2008.
1. How do I handle the DHCP leases that are currently on the 2003 DC's? I need to "transfer" the DHCP over to the 2008DC somehow?
2. Will the GPO's automatically transfer from 2003 to 2008?
3. I also need to make sure the login scripts are transferred as well.
Anyone who has done this before I would like some advice and insight.