I have one server running SBS 2003 Premium. It is fully patched.
I want to join a Windows 7 Pro machine to the domain.
My search in Experts Exchange only show old items prior to May, 2010.
I am confused. I need an answer soon as I am working on a critical project.
I found 2 documents, one tells me to download a bunch of files.
The other says only 1 hotfix is needed.
What is the best way to ensure the Windows 7 pc is connected correctly to the SBS 2003 server? May be there is another solution?
The hot fix solution is in this link:
The other solution is below:
You try to use the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 (Windows SBS) client deployment tools to join a Windows Vista-based computer or a Windows 7-based computer to a Windows SBS network. However, when you click Connect to the network now on the Network Configuration Web page, you receive the following error message even though you are already logged on as a local administrator:
The Small Business Server Networking Wizard was not installed. You may not be a member of the local Administrators security group on this computer or your Local Intranet security settings may be set to High. Click Connect to the network now to try again and click Yes when prompted. If the wizard fails to install, contact the person responsible for your networkAlso, when you click Connect to the Network, and then you enable the ActiveX control when you are prompted by the Internet Explorer information bar, a dialog box is displayed that contains the following message:
Run the wizard to complete networking setup
However, the wizard does not appear.
Additionally, when you try to use the Outlook Profile Settings option in the Setup Computer Wizard or in the Assign Applications Wizard to configure Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 for a Windows SBS network, the settings are not applied.
To resolve this issue, download and install all the following updates for full W...
To resolve this issue, download and install all the following updates for full Windows 7 and Windows Vista compatibility with Windows SBS 2003.
Note Except for the third item in the following list, you must download and install these updates on the computer that is running Windows SBS 2003.
Note Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1 is required to install the following updates.
· Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 Compatibility. You can download the Update for Windows Small Business Server 2003: Windows Vista and Outlook 2007 Compatibility update by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
Note This update also applies to Windows 7.
· Download and install the following software update on the Windows SBS 2003 server to support client computers that are running Outlook Web Access (OWA) on Windows Vista or on Windows 7:
) You receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks, or you must click to enable the compose frame in Outlook Web Access
· User Profile WMI Provider. The User Profile WMI Provider is required if you want to enable users to access documents and user settings for their existing user profiles after a computer joins the Windows SBS 2003 domain. To enable users to access existing documents and settings after the client computer is joined to the domain, you must download and install the User Profile WMI Provider to each client computer that is running Windows Vista before you use http://servername/ConnectComputer
. You do not have to install the provider if you do not have existing local user documents or settings.
You must log on to the Windows Vista-based computer, and then download and install the User Profile WMI Provider. For more information about the User Profile WMI Provider, including download information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
) New Win32_UserProfile WMI functionality replaces Moveuser.exe, which is not compatible with Windows Vista
· If you are running the Premium Edition of Windows Small Business Server 2003, install the following updates for Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004:
· Install Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 SP3 Standard Edition to enable synchronization between Windows Vista Outlook Client and the Exchange mailbox on the Windows SBS server. To download this service pack, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
· Install the Firewall Client for ISA Server. You can download the Firewall Client software from the following Microsoft Web site:
Download the Firewall Client software to a shared folder on the Windows SBS server, for example, the ClientApps folder.
From each client computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7, locate the shared folder where you the downloaded the Firewall Client, and then install the Firewall Client for ISA Server 2004.
When you are prompted to configure Firewall Client, type the name of the Windows SBS server.
Note: Firewall Client for ISA Server is supported for WIndows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Windows 2000.
· For more information about how to manually configure any additional settings, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Note If you used the previously published steps to manually join the Windows Vista-based computer or the Windows 7-based computer to a Windows SBS network, you must log off and then log back on to the client computer after you install the update. You will receive a one-time User Account Control (UAC) prompt for SBS 2003 SP1 before the client is updated with the correct settings.