[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
?
Solved

DLL Hell?

Posted on 2011-04-21
2
Medium Priority
?
331 Views
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
I think this is a DLL problem, but i'm not sure.....

We have a mixture of XP and windows 7 pcs around the office. Normally I develop our application on a Windows XP machine and create a .ACCDE file for the clients to use.

Today I used a Windows 7 pc to create a .ACCDE what I found is that other Windows 7 clients can open this file without a problem. However, XP clients cannot now open the ACCDE or ACCDB. They get an error:

"Class does not support automation, or expected interface is missing" This error occurs at a line in my code where an ADODB.connection is declared.

I am surprised that the .ACCDB also now exhibits this behaviour on my original pc. What might have caused this? I have checked that I have no missing references. Everything looks ok there.
0
Comment
Question by:TownTalk
2 Comments
 
LVL 85

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 2000 total points
ID: 35439554
Are you using a ADO to work with data on that Windows7 machine? If so, then I'm betting that Win7 machine has been updated to Service Pack 1, which introduces this bug in apps that use ADO to manipulate data:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/3a4ce946-effa-4f77-98a6-34f11c6b5a13

The "fix" is to either (a) uninstall SP1 and then recompile the app or (b) change all ADO calls to Late Binding. I believe there's also a hotfix that can be installed on CLIENT machines to remove this error, but most feel that is too difficult to manage and instead use one of the methods above. I keep a vmWare session of Win7 with NO SP1 installed just to be sure I can properly compile any apps which use ADO.

0
 

Author Comment

by:TownTalk
ID: 35439632
Yes this is new Windows 7 machine that we only bought last week. I installed all the updates, including Service Pack 1. Since I posted my original question, I dug out a backup copy of the .ACCDB and verified that the references hadn't changed.

So I think you are correct. So I will avoid using this machine for development until I hear that this has been fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Ian
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Traditionally, the method to display pictures in Access forms and reports is to first download them from URLs to a folder, record the path in a table and then let the form or report pull the pictures from that folder. But why not let Windows retr…
Windows Explorer lets you open cabinet (cab) files like any other folder. In VBA you can easily handle normal files and folders, but opening and indeed creating cabinet files takes a lot more - and that's you'll find here.
Access reports are powerful and flexible. Learn how to create a query and then a grouped report using the wizard. Modify the report design after the wizard is done to make it look better. There will be another video to explain how to put the final p…
This lesson discusses how to use a Mainform + Subforms in Microsoft Access to find and enter data for payments on orders. The sample data comes from a custom shop that builds and sells movable storage structures that are delivered to your property. …
Suggested Courses

829 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question