[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1058
  • Last Modified:

Blackberry BIS with Exchange 2010

I just installed a new Exchange server into our organization running 2010 and I am in the process of moving all the server roles over to this server.  (Our current server is running 2007)

So far everything is working EXCEPT for our users trying to connect to exchange via the Blackberry OWA method.  

I added an external URL for our EWS virtual directory and it is running Basic Authentication, but I vaguely remember having to do something else similar in 2007 before it would work with our Blackberry's.  

Can anyone refresh my memory?

Thanks
0
Dogberry1982
Asked:
Dogberry1982
  • 4
1 Solution
 
Tony JLead Technical ArchitectCommented:
I appreciate you said you have basic authentication enabled, but did you do with the following:

Get-webservicesvirtualdirectory | set-webservicesvirtualdirectory –basicauthentication:$true

0
 
Dogberry1982Author Commented:
Yes, I added it with that command from the EPS.  Same with the outside URL for the directory.  Both added through the EPS.

I did CHECK the authentication settings in IIS, and they were successfully updated.  
I seem to remember something in Exchange 2007 where I had to manually change the authentication settings in one of the EWS sub folders to a different authentication before it would work, but that was many moons ago, and I could be "wrong"....

Thanks for the response.  
0
 
Dogberry1982Author Commented:
Ok, so I figured it out....  There were actually two issues that were causing problems.

Apparently the cmdlt I ran in EPS did not execute properly and even though it didn't generate any errors, AND the change to basic authentication showed up in IIS, it wasn't REALLY changed.  

Ultimately what I had to do was remove the EWS virtual directory and re-create it.  I don't know if there was something wrong with EWS or if the change to basic authentication didn't actually take effect the first time.  
This time, I set it to basic authentication when I created it.  

The second issue (which didn't take long to figure out) was that the username entered on the Blackberry device SHOULD NOT have the netbios domain name in front of it.
When I used the format: domain\username it didn't work.  
As soon as I entered JUST the username, it validated the account and started receiving mail.  

This was consistent with the format used to login to OWA.  


One last thing...
If you need to do this same thing, be sure to use the -DomainController option when removing the EWS virtual directory.  The first time I removed it I didn't specify the DC and it didn't delete the AD object for the virtual directory.  Since it still showed up in AD I wasn't able to create the new virtual directory.
Running the command again with the -DomainController option fixed the problem and I was able to create the new virtual Directory.

For help with the syntax on removing and creating the EWS virtual directory check out the links below.

Removing: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124231.aspx 

Creating:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125176.aspx


0
 
Dogberry1982Author Commented:
The solution worked for me.
0
 
Dogberry1982Author Commented:
After many hours of internet searches etc. I finally figured out the solution on my own.  
After eliminating all other possibilities, I just deleted and re-created the EWS virtual Directory with basic authentication enabled from the beginning.
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now