Hard drive not listed in Device Manager nor Disk Management
Posted on 2011-04-22
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 on an Acer Aspire M1640, with 1 hard drive with 2 partitions, and a DVD drive. All has worked fine for a year or so. Now I have the following problems, maybe they are linked:
1. The hard drive is not listed in device manager in normal mode but is in safe mode.
2. Drives C & D do not show in Disk Management in normal mode but do in safe mode.
3. Partition Manager Easues does show the partitions ok
4. The restore system is not creating restore points automatically, but I created a restore point manually ok. I've checked that the Volume Shaddow copy service is started. Event viewer says:
Shadow copy creation failed because of error reported by ASR Writer. More info: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057).
5. Vista recovery disk doesn't offer any recovery options, it goes straight to selecting settings for a new install.
6. I've run sfc /scannow, it did not return any results.
7. All browsers crash about every 2hours (IE8, FF4, Safari5, Chrome10) and close. All add-ons are disabled.
8. I've used various anti-virus software and Stinger and nothing detected.
9. I had AVG Free installed and then replaced it with Avast.
Can anyone help please with any suggestions other than a reinstall?