We were using Maxtor One Touch II external hard drives(500GB) for backups all these years.
They were connected to a windows 2000 server with USB 2.0
- we recently upgraded our server to Windows 2008 R2 (64-bit)
- we were using the same above external drives for backups.
Last week we brought a new portable external hard drives - Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB (USB 3.0) drives.
Since this drives were having USB 3.0 ( they claim 10x faster than USB 2.0), I had installed a USB 3.0 PCIe card in the windows 2008 R2 (64-bit) dell server.
I connected the 1.5TB portable driving to the USB 3.0 card using a USB 3.0 cable.
To my surprise the backup time almost doubled compared to the previous backup setup.
1. Isn't USB 3.0 supposed to be faster than USB 2.0 ?
2. Is USB 3.0 only good for copying larger files ?
3. Do we need to do any tweaks in the Dell windows server to get the full speed of USB 3.0 ( atleast better than 2.0 speed) ?
4. Any other suggestions ?