I have an issue where I have the following:
Windows SBS 2000
Windows 2003 Domain Controller with Exchange 2003
Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller
Now. I need to remove the Windows SBS 2000. This is a problem. I also need to remove the Windows 2003 server with Exchange 2003 on it.
This is how I plan to tackle this problem:
1) Install a new server in to the domain. The server will be Windows 2003
2) Install Exchange 2003 on the new Windows 2003 server
3) Move Exchange mailboxes and roles to the new server
4) Test then remove Exchange 2003 from the original server
5) Demote Windows 2003 Domain Controller
6) Turn off the SBS 2000 server and remove the entries in AD manually
7) Ensure all ad has replicated correctly etc and test
8) Install Exchange 2010 on one of the new R2 servers
How does this look?