I am purchasing a new server from Dell and have a few questions...
1. I was intending to get 12GB RAM. However, none of the 12GB selections came in ECC. I have always purchased ECC RAM for servers. I should change my selection to insure ECC shouldn't I?
2. My OS selection is "Windows Server 2008 R2, Standard Academic Edition,x64 Includes 5 CALs". This is downgradeable to 32-bit server 2003 isn't it?
3. The interface didn't offer me any media kits... any reason why that might be?
4. I selected a RAID5 configuration and 4 identical 300gb hotswap drives... this should give me 900gb of usable space correct? I am going to separately purchase another 300gb hotswap drive which I should be able to later add to the system and configure as a hotspare without affecting anything else - right? (The reason I am not ordering it with the server is that Dell would just add it to the raid configuration and I want it configured as a spare).
5. I am ordering 10k drives even thogh the 15k drives are not much more. I have had a much higher rate of failure among the 15k drives... consensus?
6. The internal controller could be "PERC H700 Integrated RAID controller"... or "PERC H700i, 8hd chasis"... I didn't see any online references to the difference. But I have selected H700i because it also says "8hd chasis"... which is my chasis configuration. Do I need the H700i?
7. I can save $173 if I purchase iDRAC express rather than enterprise. Do I need this at all... I usually just manage the system through remote desktop?