Migrating from WSS 3.0 to Sharepoint 2010 Foundation
Posted on 2011-04-27
I've been asked to do a rather major upgrade to our WSS 3.0 server to get it up to scratch with the rest of our servers.
It will essentially be an upgrade from a Windows Server 2003 32bit server running SQL 2000 and Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0 on domain A to a server running Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit running SQL 2008 64bit and Sharepoint 2010 Foundation on domain B.
Server 1 -> Server 2
Windows Server 2003 -> Windows Server 2008
32 bit -> 64 bit
SQL 2000 -> SQL 2008
WSS 3.0 -> Sharepoint 2010 Foundation.
domain A -> domain B
To make things more complicated, domain A is at site A and domain B is at site B.
I have been doing some research and it seems like the best path to take is to:
1. Upgrade the existing SQL server to SQL 2008
2. Add the Server 2008 64-bit machine with WSS 3.0 and SQL 2008 to the network and add to farm.
3. Backup and Migrate the Databases to the new machine
4. Point WSS to the new server
(I'm beginning to assume here....)
5. Move server to site B and change server domain to domain B
6. Upgrade WSS to SP 2010 inplace on the new machine
7. Remove old machine from farm.
Could somebody please let me know if I'm wasting my time with this due to excessive complications. I am an ambitious person but I don't want to spend more time on this then it would take to completely start from scratch (this site is only being used as a knowledge base).
Any help would be appreciated.