USB Powered Hub Preventing Windows Computer From Booting
Posted on 2011-04-28
When I disconnect the hub (with nothing else attached to it) from the computer, the computer boots fine. When I connect the hub (nothing attached) and try to boot, it locks on the screen giving me a choice of entering setup, diagnostics or boot device selection. Unfortunately at this stage, no input is accepted by the computer - it appears locked. Here is what I've tried:
1. Updated and flashed BIOS to latest version
2. Waited hours for the computer to resolve the USB Hub
3. Loaded BIOS defaults
4. Set BIOS Bootup to CD-HD-Floppy-Net
5. Disabled the two external and 2nd internal hard drives, leaving only the main drive to boot.
6. Tried booting with and without the external hard drives attached to the hub.
7. Switched to another 7 port powered USB hub.
All attempts failed. It should be noted that a third USB hub works fine, even with a printer and three external hard drives attached.