Office Excel 2007 - Saving files as .tmp files and removing original file.
Posted on 2011-04-28
I have a problem with one user whom when editing a spreadsheet on any network drive it will frequently state "file not saved" and the original file will be replaced with a .tmp file. If i then rename the .tmp file to .xlsx it is the saved file.
This only appears to happen on network drives and so far.... only appears to affect this user/ users machine.
I have tried the following:
- performed an office repair
- ran all office 2007 updates
- removed and reinstalled office
- performed system restore on his machine to an earlier date when he doesnt recall having this problem.
- increasing his permissions on the network drive
- logging on as different user on his machine
- replaced laptop with another one with same image and as with previous one it appeared to work for a while then same fault occured.
What is baffling me is that although it happens frequently it is intermittant and doesnt appear to follow any pattern. I am wondering if this may be due to a windows/office update.
user has a Dell E4310 with Windows 7 Pro and Office 2007
should anyone have any other ideas to troubleshoot that may help point to the cause please let me know.
Any advice/help much appreciated.
Just spoke to user and this also affects powerpoint and word.