Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium


Changing Primary SMTP address, internal mails doesn't work

Posted on 2011-05-01
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-05-11

A SBS 2003 R2 server. I added a new domain name on Default Recipient Policy and set it to be the primary. The server have a public SSL certificate for old mail domain. I plan to use the new email domain as the primary email address while the old one need work to the end of this year. I have almost 100 WSs which are scattered all over the country so I don't wan't to modify any setings on them. They fetch mails via RPC over HTTPS outlook. I also have a 3rd party smart box to filter spams.

I can send and receive mails without problems but the new email addresses doesn't work if I send internal emails. I got error a message stating the recipient address doesn't exist. When I check properties of a individul user I can see that for some reason the old email address is still the primary. The ISP changed DNS apx 20 hours ago. The error message:

            "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to.  Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
            <olddomain.fi #5.1.1>"

Any ideas?

Rgs, Juha
Question by:RimFire007
  • 2

Accepted Solution

ckeshav earned 2000 total points
ID: 35499570
Hi please follow the steps

1. Please open Exchange System Manager Console on SBS server
2. Expand Recipients and select Recipient Policies
3. Double-click Default Policy in right pane, select E-Mail Addresses
(Policy) tap
4. Change the primary SMTP address here, then click OK to finish

Note: After above steps, the primary SMTP address setting will apply on all
email accounts

It might take some time reflect in Outlook Address book.


Author Comment

ID: 35499961
Hi eshav

Steps 1 to 4 was done allready. Following your link by changing manually the new email address as a primary under User Properties / Email addresses seem to do the trick.I'll install some updates and restart the server. This seems to be OK now.

I'll close the case after the server is up again and still works correctly.Thank you for help.



Author Closing Comment

ID: 35879670
The link provided did the trick: by changing manually the new email address as a primary under each User 's Properties / Email addresses were the solution.

Thanks for tips.

Featured Post

[Webinar On Demand] Database Backup and Recovery

Does your company store data on premises, off site, in the cloud, or a combination of these? If you answered “yes”, you need a data backup recovery plan that fits each and every platform. Watch now as as Percona teaches us how to build agile data backup recovery plan.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article will help to fix the below errors for MS Exchange Server 2016 I. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" II. Out of Office not working III. Make Internal URLs and Externa…
In this article, I will demonstrate that how to do a PST migration from Exchange Server to Office 365. This method allows importing one single PST, or multiple PST's at once.
In this video we show how to create an Address List in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Organization >> Ad…
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an anti-spam), the admin…
Suggested Courses

572 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question