[MS-Word] Labels Mail-Merge - generating a fully-populated, printer-ready labels file
Posted on 2011-05-01
App: MS Word2002 SP3, MS Office XP
O/S: Windows 2000 Professional, SPK 4
From time to time my non-tech-savy client asks for help creating mailing labels as he finds the mail-merge wizard confusing.
If he sends me the mailing list (XLS), is there any way I can generate and send him back a fully-populated labels file (DOC format) that he can print out on his printer?
Initially I thought this can be done as a PDF file.
First I started the Mail-Merge Wizard (from Tools/Letters&Mailings)
Then I followed the 7 part wizard...
(1) Select document type -- labels
(2) Select starting document -- in label options I choose #5160 address labels and named the file Label-5160.doc
(3) Select recipients -- pointed to the desired mailing list
(4) Arrange labels -- arranged as an address-block
(5) Preview labels
(6) Complete the merge
Step7 is the standard Windows Print dialogue box.
At this point I redirected the print output to the PDF print-driver.
The result was a 9 page PDF document (Label-5160.pdf) with 30 addresses per page.
So far, so good.
However when I sent the PDF file to the printer, I found that the addresses were not aligned within the labels. It seems that the PDF fonts are slightly smaller that those in Word. The effect is that the printed addresses creep up the page, such that the last 15 addresses on the page are not aligned within the desired labels.
(1) Is there any way for me to create a fully-populated labels file in native DOC format that's ready for the printer?
(2) If not, is there any way to tweak the PDF file so that the addresses are aligned properly?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.