Exchange server database synchronisation and customisation
Posted on 2011-05-02
I am trying to put together a requirement that will customize exchange server to work in multiple location using the same domain name. See below what i want to implement . Any suggestion will be appreciated.
1. The domain name "Company.com" will become the universal domain for the company with two office locations .
2. Email addresses will be split into:
a. offices: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com; and
b. departments: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, etc.
Departments that are split between Offices1 and Offices2 should be sending and receiving from the same email address (or using the same email addresses), irrespective of where the specific individual is located.
3. All people should be able to read and be able to send from all email addresses without having to log on and off each time.
4. Personal email addresses would also work alongside the departmental addresses. In other words, everyone having access to the departmental addresses can also have their own personal email addresses .
5. I will also required to setup or integrate an internal messenger system (a bit like msn messenger) so that people can communicate internally without clogging up the mailboxes.
I was however thinking in the lines of setting up the 2 exchange servers in the 2 offices as a POP3 server with a third party POP3 connector to download the same email into the different servers. They can also be configured to send email out as the same domain name "company.com".
I am also considering setting up a VPN between the 2 offices, have the server in the same domain or same organisational group, but i am not sure if the databases can synchronise accross the WAN as emails sent to various departments would be viewed from all the offices and if exchange server can allow multiple site and same organisation setup.
Your suggestion will be very appreciated.