A customer brought me this laptop that the hinge screws had come loose and the touch pad buttons had multifunctioned, so I purchased a palm rest with the touch pad, replaced it, fixed the hinges, and when I attempted to run the laptop, the lights came on, the fan runs, but nothing comes on the screen. I plugged in an external monitor but nothing will come on the external monitor either.
I took the motherboard out of the laptop, unplugged everything I could off of it and I still get the same results -- the fan comes on, the power light comes on, the wifi light comes on, but I get no video on the external monitor. I unplugged the cmos battery, waited about 30 minutes, plugged it back in, but that did no good either.
I did notice that the heat sink was plugged up with lint and dirt. Can I assume that the processor has been overheated and therefore has quit working? Or should I look at something else? I seen that ebay has a used one for about $50.00. Would it be worth spending that much money to see if that would fix the problem? Or is the motherboard bad too?