I think I am having a DNS issue…
I am running windows server 2003. It is a web server and it is also running DNS.
I was having problems sending smtp email through various applications so I decided to use nslookup. Here is the behavior I am getting:
Nslookup [the fqdn of the smtp server]
*** localhost can't find [the fqdn of the smtp server] : Non-existent domain
Nslookup [the fqdn of the smtp server] [the fqdn of the company's primary name server]
Exactly what it should return
Now, If I go to the DNS console on my server and look at the properties of my server's forward lookup zone – and go to the name server's tab – the fqdn and ip of [the company's primary name server] is there. By default it listed the server's own fqdn and IP and I added the company's name server. Also, if you look at the local network connection properties of my server and go to the dns tab I only list 127.0.0.1 as the dns server.
The way I thought this worked was that if my server cannot resolve a fqdn it would use the name servers listed on the name server tab of your forward lookup zone. But based on those nslookup results above it seems that the company name server can resolve [the fqdn of the smtp server], but my server is failing to resolve it and is not then going out to the company's name server for the resolution.
Not sure what I am doing wrong here…