The company has Exchange 2003 (part of SBS2003) and 40 Outlook users (Outlook 2003/2007)
ONLY ONE user has this problem for a year now.
- This user restarts her PC at 4pm everyday before going home. She comes back to work every morning before 7am. She logs in her PC then launches Outlook. She is doing this for years and this is her habit. She does not want to change it. Well, i do not think this habit is the culprit of the problem.
- Very frequently (but not always), her Outlook will not open smoothly in the morning when she tries to launch it. It frequently freezes. A restart of her computer usually does not fix the problem. So I asked her to use OWA to work on her emails if the problem happens, which worked fine. I start my day a few hours later than her. When I sit in front of her computer to look into this problem, I am usually able to launch Outlook fine without a problem.
What I have done
- Created new Outlook profile a few times in the past year
- Detect and Repair
In Outlook | Help | Detect and Repair
- Re-registered dll files OLE32.DLL and INETCOMM.DLL
- Replaced the nic
What I have NOT done
- reinstall Outlook 2003
- reinstall MS Office 2003
- re-create her user account and mailbox on server
During my troubleshooting, I noticed a few things as below
- "Check Name" is too slow
When I created a new profile in Outlook and setup her email account, I typed in server name and her first name and clicked "Check Name" button, it took quite long to resolve her user name. For other users, this process is almost instant to finish. But it might take a minute on her computer to resolve her user name. At one time, I was even prompted the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable".
- "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable"
This message could also occur in the following situations as well
1. When trying to review her email settings
Control Panel | Profile | Account | Change
2. When opening Outlook (I am not 100% sure about this)
The problem has calmed down for a few months, but it came back again yesterday morning and this morning.
Any ideas my friends?