• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1923
  • Last Modified:

DCOM permissions issue in server 2008

I am running a task in the Task Scheduler that logs in as a domain user and runs a custom program to do things with Excel spreadsheets.  If I log in as that user normally, I can run the program just fine.  When run from the Task Scheduler, however, the program returns an OLE error "Access is Denied".  If I use an admin account in the Task Scheduler instead of the domain user, the program runs fine.  (That may end up being an acceptable workaround but I'm not sure yet.)

So, in short, there's some sort of permissions issue with the domain user trying to create an Excel.Application object when run as a batch job through the Task Scheduler.  

Looking through the Event Viewer, I find this entry:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
 and APPID
 to the user DOMAIN\user SID (S-1-........) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

That CLSID does correspond to Excel.Application which is the object my program is trying to instantiate.

I've seen other threads referring to this Component Services administrative tool.  I'm unfamiliar with it, but I've looked through it and can't find anything referencing Excel or that CLSID anywhere in it.  

1 Solution
jn2112Author Commented:
OK, I believe I've fixed my own problem.  I adjusted Launch and Activation Permissions at the My Computer level for the domain user in question, and the task scheduler ran perfectly.  

I was looking for the specific application in the subfolders below but it wasn't in there.


Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now