I was sort of tossed into managing an Exchange server, so my knowledge is a bit limited on most of the technical terms or solutions. What has happened is during a back-up routine I decided to set-up which wasn't in place prior, I've some how ended up with an unmountable store. Here is the run-down:
Using the Windows Backup utility to backup our exchange data (I used the "Exchange" option check box as per a Microsoft article on this) I've found the files cannot be backed up. What happens is the tool will run for about half a second then say it cannot complete. Looking at the detailed report I see something like this,
"The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Instance not found
' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Functions called in an invalid sequence.
' from a call to 'HrESEBackupClose()' additional data '-' ".
After much time Googling I somehow (I really don't remember as I'd been working for 9 hours already and it was 1AM) ended with information leading to a corrupted db with the effect of needing to run the eseutil with the /d switch, and when that didn't work the /p switch.
Upon running /p I get the error of "Operation terminated with error -1601 (JET_errRecordNotFound, The key was not found) ".
When trying to mount the store in the System Manager I get event id 9175:
I have no idea how to correct this. The person before never made back-ups of the exchange data and so a restore from one is not possible.
Tearing my hair out here.