How to build a LAN virtualization server
Posted on 2011-05-07
I'm planning to set up a local server for these tasks:
- serve only on the LAN network, behind the Firewall for software/web development team of 2
- serve multiple (4+) VMWare images (running with linux, win and maybe os x), each aimed at 1GB to 2GB memory
- serve as a NSF file server (for mac and windows clients) for my RAID box and other external HDDs
- managed remotely (screen or keyboard only used for install and emergencies) via ssh, x-windows
My current idea of a spec is:
- latest CPU ( i5/i7 , AMD...)
- 32 GB of RAM
- 64 bit CentOS 6
- USB 2/3, Firewire 400/800
- given the tasks, what would you change/add to the spec?
- what hardware components (vendor, type, etc) would you suggest?
- where to get the hardware? (spoiler: it has to be either available in Thailand or can be shipped to Thailand)
- I'm used to vmware, but if you have other suggestions regarding virtualization, please shoot.
Many thanx in advance,