Our Exch DB currently over 75GB kept dismounting every other day or so. I had people delete emails (empty the deleted items) and archive a bunch of emails (Approximately 20-25 GB worth).
original priv1.edb file is 55GB and priv1.stm file is 27GB.
My action plan (I had to stop after #4 because the size of the tempdfg.edb only reduced by 2gb and the stm file reduced by 2 gb as well----I was expecting it to reduce between 20 and 25 GB). What did i miss? see below for the action plan---
1. copy ex_data and Ex_logs directory to F:\exchange. (extra precaution)
2. NTbackup ....store on Z:\manual backup...\exchfull (to minimize log files)
3. dismount DB, stop exch services
4. eseutil /d /p "e:\Ex_Data\priv1.edb" /t"F:\Exchange\tempdfg.edb". (defrag didnt shrink as expected)......
5. rename existing db and stm files
6. copy from temp location to e:\ex_data directory
7. rename temp db to original name (priv1.edb and priv1.stm).