We have 2 domain controller (w2k3, ad), in our network.
1. Server1 is the primary dc
2. Server2 is the secondary dc
About 6 months ago, the hdd on server 1 failed and it took us about 2 months to recover the system. But when we put the server back on, it never worked quite as well as it should be.
The symptoms are:
1. sometimes, admin has to reenter credential in order to access network shared folder. And it has to be in the form of user@mydomain and cannot be just the username.
2. We had to chenge shortcuts to point to ip address instead of the url address.
BUT the immediate and urgent problem now is:
1. We need to join a computer (w2k3) to the domain. But after inputting admin credential, the joining process is rejected because of target name is problematic.
The computer I'm trying to join has a different subnet from the dc (dc = 22.214.171.124), while this comp is to be the local server in a new office (126.96.36.199).
I've created site and subnet on the "active directory sites" window. But it cannot join the domain.
Replication of user name and credentials seem to work,because when I added a user on server2, it will automatically bbe added to server1 too.
Please help me with:
1. To fix this problem, Can I simply disable/shutdown server1, and use server2 ad dc instead?
2. How do i do #1 ?
3. How can we identify what is wrong with the system?
Thank you so much in advance.