Contacts not displaying name even though its there

Posted on 2011-05-10
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-06-22
We have an intermitant problem with the contacts of one of our users. Every now and then outlook will decide to loose the name field on the contact ( so it doesnt display a name but displays everything else )  but the really weird thing is that if you double click on the contact and open its full properties the name does display. I have attached two screenshots which might help you understand a bit more.
Snip from the contacts list
  contacts list
Snip from full contacts properties ( as you can see the name field is populated)

 full contacts properties

We have tried removing and then adding again the contacts. This fixed the problem temporarily.We also tried repairing office and re building the machine, both which failed to permantly fix the problem.
 I should also note that all the contacts are stored in the users mailbox on our exchange server and none of our other 100 users has ever had any similar problem. Also note that the user syncs her mailbox/contacts with her iphone.
Question by:MOSADMIN
LVL 37

Accepted Solution

Neil Russell earned 2000 total points
ID: 35727977
1) Disable iPhone account for a few days, does it still happen?
2) Does this happen whatever machine the user logs onto?
3) Does resetting to the default view cure the issue?

Author Comment

ID: 35745275
Im afraid we cant really disable the iphone account as our user needs it constantly. Also yes it does happen on any computer the user logs on to and resseting the view doesnt cure it.

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Among the most obnoxious of Exchange errors is error 1216 – Attached Database Mismatch error of the Jet Database Engine. When faced with this error, users may have to suffer from mailbox inaccessibility and in worst situations, permanent data loss.
As a matter of fact, Outlook OST files are of much importance in relation to Exchange mailbox. OST files are independent as they are simply copy of data of a user’s mailbox on Exchange Server. Though, if the server’s status is changed or it is dama…
The basic steps you have just learned will be implemented in this video. The basic steps are shown to configure an Exchange DAG in a live working Exchange Server Environment and manage the same (Exchange Server 2010 Software is used in a Windows Ser…
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month9 days, 16 hours left to enroll

569 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question