• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 3663
  • Last Modified:

IEMSTest.exe reports profile error with code 8004011d

I am installing BESx 5.0.3 onto a domain-joined Windows Server 2008 R2 server dedicated to this task. The domain has two DC's, both 2008 R2 core installs, an Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3-v3 server as a hub transport, CAS, and Mailbox server, and a separate Exchange 2010 SP1 UR3-v3 Edge Transport server.

During pre-installation IEMSTest.exe reported the attached error. Having seen this before and found it to be a non-issue, I decided to proceed with the install. Everything has installed properly and, for the most part, appears functional.

However, if I attempt to send a message to any user in the administration panel, or create a new user and have the activation key automatically generated and emailed, these functions fail as well, and 8004011d errors appear in the logs, leading me to believe the two are related. IEMSTest still fails with the same error.

I've already checked the throttling policy, adjusted the default throttling policy just in case the created policy was not being properly applied, and rechecked all of the BES admin account's permissions. Since IEMSTest.exe is failing very early, before even reaching the later stages of querying mailboxes, I suspect this is something core to the profile or mailbox, but haven't been able to pin it down.



BlackBerry Enterprise Server Utility - IEMSTest.exe (IExchangeManageStore), Version 1.0
Copyright (c) Research In Motion, Ltd. 1999. All rights reserved.
OpenMsgStore() for this profile failed (8004011d)

Open in new window

0
Cliff Galiher
Asked:
Cliff Galiher
  • 4
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Mike SullivanDirectorCommented:
Hi cgaliher,

You're right with your suspicions about it being something core to the profile or mailbox. The key, I think, is to identify which profile.

My own suspicion is that there is a problem with the BlackBerry Service account MAPI profile on the BES server. Stop the BlackBerry services on the server, o to the MAPI Profiles registry entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\ and export them all to a file then delete them from the registry. Go into the BlackBerry Server Configuration tool and recreate the MAPI profile then restart the BlackBerry services and try again.

As a side issue, which version of the MAPI tools do you have installed on the BES server?
0
 
Cliff GaliherAuthor Commented:
Already done. No difference. 6.5.8211
0
 
Mike SullivanDirectorCommented:
OK.

The problem is that the account you log on to the BES server with isn't able to open the BES Administrator's mailbox or is having problems accessing the mailstore. I assume you are logging on to the server and trying to use IEMSTest as BESAdmin rather than another Administrator account? If so, check for propagation of permissions down to the BESAdmin mailbox. Make sure that it is inheriting all permissions from the server level. Also check the Active Directory container of te BESAdmin account and make sure that there is an unbroken chain of inheritance for policies and permissions.
0
Nothing ever in the clear!

This technical paper will help you implement VMware’s VM encryption as well as implement Veeam encryption which together will achieve the nothing ever in the clear goal. If a bad guy steals VMs, backups or traffic they get nothing.

 
Cliff GaliherAuthor Commented:
Done. All is well there. As an update, while working through the problem with increasingly detailed auditing turned on, I've found that both iemstest and the bes admin console are attempting to access public folders when they throw the error DESPITE the "ignore no pf" registry key being set.

To verify, I created a pf database...everything works. Delete the database, error returns. So I have a workaround for now, but not a solution.

-Cliff
0
 
Cliff GaliherAuthor Commented:
Apparently this is a documented issue buried in a KB article on Blackberry's site. For anyone who runs into this, search for KB24470. There is a user-specific registry change that needs to be done for Exchange 2010 SP1 specifically. Why RIM hasn't updated the pre-installation documentation to include this obviously necessary step is beyond me, and finding the KB article is non-intuitive at best (none of my normal keyword searches turned it up) but hopefully this will help someone else who has as poor luck with Blackberry's knowledgebase search as I did.

-Cliff
0
 
Cliff GaliherAuthor Commented:
No offered solutions put me on the right path. Only time and brute-force searching on RIMs site finally provided what I needed. Documenting the KB for future searchers.
0

Featured Post

NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 1.5

With Office 365, it’s your data and your responsibility to protect it. NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 eliminates the risk of losing access to your Office 365 data.

  • 4
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now