Windows 7 unable to connect / view Windows 2008 share
Posted on 2011-05-12
Ok, need help on this one. Really kicking my tail!
I have a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit workstation that has joined the domain (W2K3 server is the DC. W2K8 is the file server and does NO DC work. Just set as a stand along file server that's joined to the domain)
Have a share on W2K8 box that has EVERYONE permissions set. Also have shares on the W2K3 box.
We have 10 XP workstations that can access the shares on both boxes fine. Quick. No issues.
Win 7 Pro - NOPE. It can access the W2K3 shares instantly but NOT the W2K8 share. It may take 10 - 20 mins before the workstation can "see" the share and it's contents. Until then, it says it's "offline"
Here's what we've done on the Win 7 box
1. Turned off firewall
2. Set Static IP
3. Enabled NetBIOS
4. Removed ALL antivirus products
5. Disabled IPv6 & IP Helper service
6. Tested the problem under user login & Admin login
7. Set Static DNS & included the W2K8 in the DNS list
8. Set entry in HOST file for W2K8 box
9. Disabled power setting on NIC
10. Installed all Win 7 updates including SP1 & IE9
On W2K8 box:
1. Set A record in DNS to point to Win 7 workstation
2. Verified permissions on shares
On W2K3 box:
1. Verified DNS & WINS is using correct IP for Win 7 box
2. Tested making user member of Domain Admin group.
What has really thrown us is that we can make a change in something and the computer seems to respond and be "fixed" until we reboot. At the reboot, it goes right back to taking 10 - 20 min before contents of the W2K8 server will show.