Printer missing from printer list when attempting to print from Remote Desktop connection
Posted on 2011-05-13
Here's my configuration:
- Dell Latitude running Windows 7 SP1, 32-bit.
- The Dell Latitude is in a small Office A w/ 10.20.0.48 /28 subnet.
- A Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall defines the Office B subnet. 10.20.0.50 - 10.20.0.54 are reserved for printers. 10.20.0.55 - 10.20.0.64 are handed out dynamically by the Cisco. (The Dell Latitude uses one of the dynamic addresses.)
- The Cisco ASA connects to a second Cisco 5505 in Office B via VPN over IPsec. Office B is on a different subnet (10.20.2.0 /24)
- A Sharp MX5500 printer is statically assigned to 10.20.0.51 in the small Office A.
- The Sharp MX5500 printer is configured as a local printer on the Dell Latitude (with a TCP/IP printer port). (There's no print server in Office A.)
- The Dell Latitude successfully prints to the to the Sharp MX5500 with "local" print jobs (print jobs coming directly from from the Dell Latitude).
- When the Dell Latitude connects to the a designated remote machine in Office B (10.20.2.64), however, the Sharp MX5500 is not available in its list of printers.
- The Remote Desktop connection on the Dell Latitude is configured to share local resources (clipboard and printers).
- It's worth noting that a small HP 1012 that's shared by another workstation in Office A is visible to the Dell Latitude during the Remote Desktop session.
Suggestions to make the Sharp MX 5500 visible to the Dell Latitude during Remote Desktop sessions? I suppose I could use the local workstation that shares the HP 1012 to share the Sharp MX 5500 as well.