Accidentally renamed a DC in Active Directory
Posted on 2011-05-13
OK, so I made a really dumb mistake and I am trying to figure out the best way to fix it!
I had a Windows 2008 server that I was preparing to send to an overseas office as a domain controller. I built the machine but had not yet promoted it when I realized that I would not be able to send it to the new office. We ordered a new machine directly to the new office where I went, built the machine and promoted it to a domain controller.
The original machine was disconnected from the network before I went to the new office because I had it prepared for shipping. When I realized that I couldn't use it I deleted it from Active Directory with the intent of re-installing the OS.
Here's the mistake: I used the same name for the new machine and I did NOT rebuild the old machine! I brought it up on the network and renamed it (remember this was not a DC). This renamed the DC's entry in Active Directory.
So far I have not had an issue but the AD entry for the Domain Controller was renamed and I'm not sure how I should go about fixing it!