We just swapped a user to a new blackberry and they seemed to have lost their ability to remotely search email from the exchange server vs. locally on their blackberry. I am fairly new to supporting black berry and from what I googled, I can't seem to find a definitive answer to how to fix this.
This is a blackberry user on BES. blackberry model 9300, software 220.127.116.116 (Platform 18.104.22.168). We DO apply custom security policies to this device. I am not sure if that is the problem and I need to change an option in the policy to allow for this or there is some other issue going on. I have tested on my own black berry and confirmed I am not able to do this either.
I am hoping someone in the community can help solve this.