We are running Exchange 2003 SP2 Enterprise Edition. Late last week we started to see error 623 appearing in the application event log on the server:
Information Store (5292) First Storage Group: The version store for this instance (0) has reached its maximum size of 249Mb. It is likely that a long-running transaction is preventing cleanup of the version store and causing it to build up in size. Updates will be rejected until the long-running transaction has been completely committed or rolled back.
Possible long-running transaction:
Session-context ThreadId: 0x00001B84
Users are then unable to connect to the Exchange for a period of time. To our knowledge no new applications were installed on the server prior to this error apparing and no changes were made to the Exchange enviornment.
To troubleshoot this problem we have so far done the following
1) Applied all latest Exchange 2003 updates from Microsoft Update site
2) Ran an offline defragmentation of the Exchnage database using ESEUTILS
3) Applied the latest hotfix related to this problem - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;953952
(this is the only hotfix we have found that is not bundled with SP2)
4) Reapplied Exchange Service Pack 2
5) Changed the maximum size of inbound emails to 10MB
However after performing all of these steps the error is still apparant.
Any advice or help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.