We have Symantec Backup Exec 2010 running on our Windows 2008 DC with Exchange 2010. 3 Tape drives connected on 2 SCSI cards:
1x dual card (LSI22320SE)
1x single card (LSI2032)
All tape drives are IBM Ultrium-TD3 running firmware version 6B20.
We cannot get hardware compression to work at all. In addition we tried to use software compression but this did not work either. We have tried to backup multiple file types e.g. Databases, Setup Files, Documents etc but nothing is compressed on tape. The size of the backup vs the size of athedirectory on disk is exactly the same.
We have a similar setup in our other office. It's running on a separate windows 2008 server. Similar Ultrium tape hardware and we have the exact same compression issue there also.
Both servers are Dell.