I am a Chemical Engineer with no formal training on web development and need to develop some simple reporting applications based on SQL data. I am familiar with basic VB programming syntax and have developed some detailed VB applications; however I have not developed any web applications.
I need suggestions on some good learning resources (web or training) to learn how to fit all the pieces together (HTML, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, AJAX, CSS, XML, Web Services, etc…). I have a MSDN subscription and use the Visual Studio IDE and have played with Microsoft Expression. Honestly, there seems to be a mountain of technical matter I need to understand before making a decent ADO driven web page. The syntax is killing me and the standard ASP.NET controls are very limited.
So, for a beginning web developer, what resources do you suggest? I would like to stick with VB…
BTW, the application I will be developing will have the following features:
1. Allow the user to select between 5 different plants (SQL servers).
2. Select a date range. Oh yea, is there a decent free calendar control?
3. Select the desired product from a drop-down. I actually have this working.
4. Select multiple product batch ids from another multi-select drop down. What control do I use for that? Syntax?
5. Return data for the batches selected in a “table”. Would like to be able to collapse / expand data for each batch. Would you return all the data to one dataset, or have one dataset per batch?
6. Datasets will contain information that I want to chart on an X-Y plot. Microsoft’s chart control is not powerful enough, but their Office Web Component chart is. I have a program written in VB6 that presents this information. I just need to do this on a web page.
I know, the question is a mile wide, but I’d appreciate any input.