I have been trying to successfully install SharePoint 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (HOUSE-2K10MOSS01) and SQL 2008 R2 on a separate Windows Server 2008 R2 (WAMR-2K08SQL01). I've tried multiple times installing SharePoint 2010 multiple times but I keep running into the same problem. Here's the order of operations:
1) I configured SQL on the first server, configured the firewall for the appropriate 1443 port on both servers and installed SharePoint 2010 on the MOSSServer. Initially, I was getting errors with the SharePoint configuration wizard when I tried to configure portion where the SQL Server \ database and user account to configure the SQL database. Initially, I was using just the computer name (WAMR-2K08SQL01), but it never completed successfully. I found I could get it to move forward and identified correctly if I used the fully qualified domain and dns name (WAMR-2K08SQL01.domain."co
2) Once it would complete and I got a successful completion message I'd run the command line "iisreset" then click "Finish" where the Central Administration then tries to open. Even though everything ran aand completes successfully the Central administration page never connects and instead simply says "Cannot connect to configuration database".
3) After trying this several times I decided to have a DNS entry created to help the identification of the SQL server . The new DNS entry identifies the machine by it's fully qualified DNS name (WAMR-MOSSSQL.Domain..."co
4) I have then tried to re-install using the SharePoint configuration wizard. I've tried other names, but again it will only connect if I use the fully qualified DNS name. So when I start the configuration wizard, I get an error, though it completed successfully previously. I get an error message and a log file (I've attached below). The error is "Failed to detect if this server is joined to a server farm...." If I click OK, and press "Next" again, it does NOT give me the error message and instead finds the SQL server configuration and again will complete successfully.
5) I then restart IIS, click finish and again I get the "Cannot connect to the configuration database".
6) I then have checked Event Viewer to see if I can get any more information. I found the following error: "Cannot connect to SQL Server "WAMR-2K08SQL01\HOUSEMOSSS
QL" not found. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."
I've tried different commands to change the timeout period but I'm not sure if I have the correct command since it never completes successfully. After over a week of trying different options, and everything I can think of I'm now looking for help to get this completed so I can finaly get passed these errors and begin configuring SharePoint Central Administration and begin installing my SharePoint application for my office.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.