So this is a weird request, I don't know if this exists. We are a web development company. We are looking to create a solution for our clients to view their websites before they go live.
- HOSTS files are out because sometimes users don't have administrative access.
- We don't want to create a subdomain in DNS for multiple reasons.
- We need to use their actual domain in some cases (redesign)
So the thought was to use something like Microsoft's RemoteApp. The problem(s) with this are:
- The user may not have access to port 3389.
- We would need to setup a physical server in the DMZ, lock it down, and maintain it
- Cost for license and CALs
So with that said, we are looking for some solution that will meet these needs without the problems. The only way around this I can think of is having something under our control, that we can edit the HOSTS file on, that the client can then access via port 80.