I have recently been having some problems with Segate Expansion and Black Armor drives connected to an SBS2008 server. When the drives are first connected all seems to work fine, they are detected without a problem, however, on both occasions when the client swaps the drives to rotate the backup drives they are no longer detected even though they are listed on the USB Mass Storage under device manager.
I have spoken to Segate who say neither of these drives are supported on server operating systems even though I have used them before and some of our clients are currently using them without a problem.
I then decided to plug the drives into an XP computer which detects the drives without a problem and then try and connect to the drive over the network however the server keeps showing the following message:
'Not enough server storage is available to process this command'
I have tried the registry hack:
'To solve this problem open the Registry and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ lanmanserver \ parameters and check if the string IRPStackSize exists. If it does not exist create a new Dword with the name IRPStackSize.
The default value for this Dword is 18 and you should raise the value by adding 3 to it. The first value for IRPStackSize would be 21. Reboot your computer and see if that solved the problem. If you still get the error message add 3 again and reboot your computer again.
The maximum size for IRPStackSize is 50.'
Which has not helped but instead results in the server BODing when attempting to connect to the external USB drive on the XP computer.