troubleshooting Question

labeling devices and patch panels

Avatar of bryanord
bryanord asked on
2 Comments2 Solutions968 ViewsLast Modified:
We are working on a large wireless AP upgrade.  Our building has multiple com rooms and several hundred AP's.  I am looking for some best practices for labeling the AP devices and corresponding patch panel ports.  I am not asking for a label machine instead i am looking for the naming convention that would provide the most valuable troubleshooting information.  

Some ideas that i currently have:  
If the AP is located by room 302 and connects to a patch panel in com room 200  then the label could be " R302CR200 ".  This seems to be valuable for physical layer troubleshooting.  

I am really interested in knowing if someone has a naming convention in a large building that incorporates the best information in the label.

Join the community to see this answer!
Join our exclusive community to see this answer & millions of others.
Unlock 2 Answers and 2 Comments.
Join the Community
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 2 Answers and 2 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros