I need to deploy a windows 2008 domain controller to a new branch office in a months time. i currently have 3 remote locations already setup.
We will have a VPN link to the remote site so was wondering if these steps would work.
Main Office : IP range: 10.20.20.0/24 Branch Office; IP Range: 192.168.3.0/24
1. Install windows 2008 R2 on server and update with with windows updates.
2. enable remote desktop on the new server.
3. Change the new servers IP address to static address that will be used at the remote office site (192.168.3.10). (Setup the DNS IP address to point to a DNS server at my main site.DNS address:10.20.20.4)
4. Ship the server to the new remote office.
5. once the server is turned on at the remote site, run DCPROMO and follow the prompts to add it as i would add an addtional Domain Controller.
6. Install DNS on the remote Domain controller and DHCP.
Question is will this work and also when should i setup Active Directory Sites and services with the new Subnet? Should i configure this before running DCPROMO or can this be done after running DCPROMO. (I setup my other Branch sites over 6 years ago so i dont recall the way i did them.)